Brian T Shirley

Brian T Shirley
Jokers Wild, Atlantis Resort

Monday, August 20, 2012

Do Authors get depressed after a book is done?

 This is a question for all the authors out there and may give some insight to readers also.I've released my 3rd book "A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Club" and now comes the hard part, promotion. This book is totally an ebook, so I can't hold or feel it. I"m  elated on one hand, but depressed on the other. Anyone else ever get that way?

 I think it's because you're proud of what you've done, but you realise that if no one sees or buys it, it was all for nothing. The hard work, decisions about what to leave in or take out. Choosing a cover, looking at illustrations for the stories, talks with your contact person at the publisher, writing a dedication, and afterword, what to say about yourself. It's all done, I should be happy. Do I need therapy or just feedback and enough money to pay the rent next month? Money helps and it can be a validation, but as a performer, I like the applause or the comments also. It let's me know my writing and performance were up to the audience's expectations. Books are different, it may take 4 or 5 until you get results that can at least booster the self confidence a little.

 I also sell my first two books ( Make Love Not Warts & Four Score and Seven Beers ago...) after my shows. They sell good and sometimes the people open the books and read from them right there. When they see a proverb or one-liner they like and laugh out loud, that makes me feel all the better and that they will be happy with their purchase. This book is different, how will I know what they think? I can't be the only one who feels like this. Maybe I'm just tired from a weekend of  performing, driving and thinking. Comments? Questions?


 Here's a link to the book anyway,take a look and give the page a like.Someone may give me a lift today, thanks.




16 comments:

  1. I have not ventured into the e-books yet. My first book was just e-marketed a couple of months ago. I downloaded Kindle on my desktop but have not even opened it. My preference is holding the book in my hand using my favorite bookmark I have had for years (maybe even decades since it is so frayed). There is something about the feel of the book that makes it so much more personal. BTW I Liked your page:>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharla, you're the best! Keep that bookmark!

      Delete
  2. Hi Brian, like your blog and joined. My book is closer than ever to finally being self-pub, but I do plan to order paperback copies of it. I agree, I need to feel my book in my hands and sell it to people I know that don't have readers and prefer a physical copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joning Lisa. Good luck on your book, you can always come here and post about it! I'll put out the word!

      Delete
  3. Hi Brian - I joined your Blog. I think this is an excellent question. I did get depressed after I finished my Trilogy. It's hard to "leave" those figures and creatures, humans and other beings I lived with for such a long time.
    I enjoyed your blog post very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you're feeling. My first three books were all in print and with a university press. My first fiction book is now out, but like you it's only in e-form. I'm working on getting it in print though. But you do sort of lose momentum when there's so little feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, I think you nailed it. The feedback is what an author needs sometimes to stay motivated and appreciated.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Brian. I definitely feel the same way you do. After putting my book on Amazon, I received some positive reviews from people I know or have met online. But I expected that! What really lit my fire was when I started getting glowing reviews from strangers. I'm sure reviews like that will come to you too, and they'll give you a thrill. In the meantime, the best way to get over an old love is to find a new one -- so start writing that next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best way to get over an old love is to get under a new one, I like that! Oh, that's not how you said it, but you are right. I do have some writing to do, but I would like that "thrill" you were talking about' It's true,nothing like hearing someone you DON"T know say they enjoyed your work.Thanks Sandy!

      Delete
  6. THank you for the invitation to visit here.
    I have really enjoyed spending time.
    Best of Luck!
    Rionna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just completed my first novel. Actually, it's a revision of my first book and now I'm on to pitching it to an agent and starting the second in the trilogy. It's never easy, but I can't picture life without writing. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela,I hope you find a good agent.Best of luck.

      Delete
  8. Even if not one solitary person purchases your e-book (which I doubt) consider yourself successful. Each book I write I learn something about myself, something that can be translated into living a better way or seeing the world with clearer eyes. The best of luck to you!

    See what I do here: http://www.ariverofstones.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn and I liked you blog. I spread the word about it! Take Care.

      Delete